The verification plug-in is a browser extension designed as a verification “Swiss army knife” to help journalists, fact-checkers and human rights defenders to verify information accuracy and to debunk disinformation.
This plug-in has been developed by Agence France-Presse (AFP) news agency Medialab with the ITI-CERTH computer science institute during the InVID Horizon 2020 EU project (2016-2018). It is now maintained and enhanced by the WeVerify Horizon 2020 EU project (2018-2021).
In YouCheck! we are enhancing this verification plug-in to make it more usable for teachers, students and public interested to learn about media and news literacy skills. We will add guidelines, lessons, videos and interactive demos.
HOW DO I GET THE PLUGIN?
- In Chrome, go to https://goo.gl/Fo8i73
- Install the plugin
- You should have a new extension icon on your browser bar
- The new enhanced YouCheck! version will be available soon and the extension will update accordingly after new release.
- More information on the verification plugin is available on WeVerify website.
HOW DO I USE THE TOOL?
- First, you can have a look to the tutorial page or the videos available for each tool.
- Then, you can use the Interactive feature as a sandbox to get more insights on visual literacy and image verification.
- The current classroom has some basic video ressources. It will be enhanced with pedagogical content and more explanations in the next release before YouCheck! project end, scheduled in November 2020.